𝔑𝔢𝔴 𝔜𝔬𝔯𝔨 𝔞𝔫𝔡 𝔪𝔬𝔯𝔢 𝔞𝔱 𝔏𝔢 𝔅𝔬𝔲𝔯𝔤𝔢𝔬𝔦𝔰
✪ New York & more at Le Bourgeois (Art Gallery in Catford) - 28/04/2023
The general vibe is the one of an art show obviously, so you’ll be sure to find lots of pretentious leather jackets, fashion people, everyone rigorously dressed in black, as well as y2k fine art students, which nonetheless makes for a good mix for the strobe seizure inducing electro dance assault that New York will deliver. New York are a duo based in London of estonian audiovisual artist Gretchen Lawrence and VW model Coumba.
The show takes place amongst the audience, with blinding strobes controlled by Gretchen or cleverly put on auto pilot at the center of the room. These are combined with amazingly robotic yet original choreography from the duo and hot electro beats, which makes for a hypnotizing visual effect that I honestly don’t think I witnessed with such precision and intention before. The aggressive lyrics such as “don’t look at me, because I don’t like you” are at times repeated over and over like a 2023 cyber bullying trauma mantra. The duo performed in army uniforms which added to the sense of mockery and aggression.
After the show an amazingly industrial dj set takes place in the venue’s basement, then at around 2am an enigmatic duo of which I sadly couldn’t find much more information, played a hypnagogic set perfect for deep night time. After that, regular dancefloor music started meaning it was time to leave. The night was free entry in true gallery fashion. 9/10
Comments
Post a Comment